For you, dear girls, we wish two things.....to give you roots and to give you wings.

Monday, March 2, 2015

Me and Social Media

About a month ago I realized that maybe I should try living without Facebook.  I also quietly went about life sparingly referring to other online tools like Pinterest.  I hadn't really used that a lot anyways.  I can't really live without Netflix, because I use it to keep me from going insane every morning on my exercise bike.

Well....a month without Facebook, and I survived.   Actually, I thrived.  And the month away proved exactly what I thought it would. 

Facebook is a great forum, and it's so cool to be able to stay engaged with friends and family, but I think it's feeding thinking problems for me, especially my already huge capacity to be judgmental.  Reading all the one sentence updates people randomly put on FB is like voyeurism into someone's life for me, and I found myself, more and more, thinking rude and hateful thoughts after reading those one or two random sentences.  While I work on being a kinder and more intentionally sacrificially, loving person I probably don't need to feed my inborn tendencies to be hateful and judgmental.  For the time being, I'm going to focus on building face-to-face relationships. 

A couple people have commented that they miss hearing about the little, old farm, so I've resurrected our old blog.  For those that really care about what we're up to, are dreaming of, or are trying to accomplish the blog is probably a better forum anyway.  I like to let my family know what life is like out here on the prairie, but I figured that most of my Facebook friends probably got annoyed by all of the farm stuff I posted online anyways.  No one really cares what we're planting in our garden except for the people that are going to eat it, most likely.  :-)

Because I had more time from not checking Facebook, pondering Facebook drama, or creating internal drama from what I'd read on Facebook I got a LOT done around the house.  I sewed Brian two pairs of fleece pajamas, I finished one baby blanket,  I started another crochet throw project, and I made Shelby a pair of crocheted slippers with leather soles.  Those slippers ROCK!  No more blown out crocheted soles for us.

Anyways,  I'll probably still pop onto Facebook from time to time.  It's the only way I get to see my sister and brothers and parents in real time.  But I'm happy about my Facebook free decision, and Brian is headed that way as well....even though he was only really a FB stalker anyways. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment